For more than 50 years, Canadian businesses, individuals and nonprofits — and their representatives — have turned to Hodgson Russ for U.S. legal advice that is precisely calibrated for cross-border clients.
We provide experienced U.S. legal representation that focuses on the unique needs of the Canadian market. By offering high-quality, cost-efficient legal advice, we help Canadian businesses, as well as European and other international businesses with a Canadian presence, succeed in the United States.
As one of the few firms devoted exclusively to practising U.S. law with a full-time office in Toronto — and one of the largest cross-border teams among U.S. firms — Hodgson Russ is well positioned to help Canadian clients. We understand the effects of U.S. law on our clients’ business interests and develop practical legal strategies for their particular situations.
Whether counselling clients through major acquisitions or offering legal guidance on everyday matters, the attorneys in our U.S. offices work closely with their Toronto colleagues to help Canadian clients establish, maintain and expand their foothold in the U.S. market. Our attorneys also have extensive experience counselling U.S.-based businesses on the American legal issues that arise when entering the Canadian market.
Hodgson Russ’s Canada-U.S. cross-border team regularly counsels clients in the following legal areas:
- Blockchain and cryptocurrency
- Business structure and expansion
- Capital market transactions
- Data security and privacy
- Employee benefits
- Executive compensation and relocation
- Export administration regulations
- Financing transactions
- Food and beverage
- Franchise and distribution
- Government contracts and relations
- Intellectual property
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS) voluntary compliance
- Labour and employment
- Multinational mergers and acquisitions
- Product liability
- Structuring for acquisition of U.S. commercial and residential real estate
- Taxation (international, federal, state and local, as well as dispute resolution)
- Tax-exempt organizations
- Venture capital and project financing