Our attorneys have extensive experience representing real estate developers, including individual entrepreneurs, traditional for-profit developers, nonprofit corporations, and public agencies, in conjunction with all types of commercial real estate transactions. We also represent buyers, sellers, landlords, and tenants. Our experience includes working with office buildings, shopping centres, hospitals and medical offices, industrial properties, hotels and restaurants, residential and commercial condominium developments, and mixed-use projects.
Real estate development attorneys at Hodgson Russ regularly:
- Draft and negotiate complex, multi-party acquisition contracts and commercial leases
- Form and advise in the administration of homeowners and condominium associations, including providing assistance with enforcement matters
- Manage a variety of complex tax issues, including tax credits, abatements, and other incentive programs
- Provide representation after completion of construction, including on leasing, refinancing, sales, and 1031 deferred exchanges
- Represent borrowers and lenders in construction and permanent financing
- Represent project developers and municipalities in conjunction with various alternative energy projects, including wind-farm developments
- Secure regulatory, land use planning, and zoning approvals and resolve environmental impact issues
Our attorneys have significant experience with myriad public financial incentives utilized for real estate development projects, including public-private partnerships, state and federal tax credits, industrial development agency incentives, Excelsior Jobs Program and Start-Up NY benefits, and other similar state and local financial incentives. Our attorneys are involved at all levels of these transactions, which often require the creation and utilization of complicated, multi-tiered ownership structures to maximize financial incentive eligibility.
Hodgson Russ has been awarded a prestigious “Best Law Firms” Metropolitan Tier 1 ranking by Best Lawyers/U.S. News & World Report in the Real Estate Law category.